Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Problem with soil plasticity and contact pairs (solid mechanics)

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi, My name is Omar. I have been trying to model a hollow pile foundation surrounded by sand with internal friction angle, dilation angle and cohesion using solid mechanics physics. In order to add these paramrters, I have to use soil plasticity under Linear Elastic Material. Moreover, in order to model the interface between the pile and the sand I used contact pairs with friction along the shaft to add the tangential stiffness and contact pairs at the bottom of the pile to add the normal stiffness using penalty factor.

The problem is that when I run the model I have received the error message shown below. I recognized that the soil plasticity and the contact pairs do not work with each other because when I disable the soil plasticity the model was solved but with presence of the soil plasticity it dosen's solve.

I need to apply both in my simulation the soil plasticity to apply Mohr-Coloum failure criteria for the sand and the contact pairs to model the interface. Could you please suggest me what should I do in this case?

Thank you for your attention.

0 Replies Last Post 2020年12月12日 GMT-5 16:36
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Omar Al-Kaseasbeh

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.