Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

elastic-perfectly plastic diffusion problem

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Dear all,

I am simulating the diffusion induced stresses in a sphere. I did the simulation for elastic case (multiphysics structural module with pde) . Now as a next step i see the stresses are high and cause plastic deformation in some portion of sphere during diffusion.

Diffusion is time dependent where as plasticity model(elastic-perfectly plastic ) is static one. When i use time dependent solver it gives an error. How to capture this behavior?

Regards,
Meena

2 Replies Last Post 2015年11月25日 GMT-5 12:16
Nagi Elabbasi Facebook Reality Labs

Posted: 9 years ago 2015年11月24日 GMT-5 12:41
Hi Meena,

Both stationary and transient solvers should work for elastic-plastic materials. However, one trick that helps sometimes when you have to solve a static structural problem as a transient one is to exclude inertia effects by setting Structural Transient Behavior to Quasi-static.

Nagi Elabbasi
Veryst Engineering
Hi Meena, Both stationary and transient solvers should work for elastic-plastic materials. However, one trick that helps sometimes when you have to solve a static structural problem as a transient one is to exclude inertia effects by setting Structural Transient Behavior to Quasi-static. Nagi Elabbasi Veryst Engineering

Posted: 9 years ago 2015年11月25日 GMT-5 12:16
Thank-you for the help!

system works for istropic hardening model but do not converge for elastic-perfect plastic model .
I set the direct solver setting to nonlinear newton still it fails to converge.

Any suggestion for resolving this issue?

Thanks,
regards,
Meena
Thank-you for the help! system works for istropic hardening model but do not converge for elastic-perfect plastic model . I set the direct solver setting to nonlinear newton still it fails to converge. Any suggestion for resolving this issue? Thanks, regards, Meena

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.