Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

user defined convective heat transfer coefficient for solid-liquid interface

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,
How can I give a user defined convective heat transfer coefficient, h, to COMSOL for a solid-liquid interface? The inlet temperature of the fluid and its flow rate are known.

The h value I want to enter manually is simply a constant.

5 Replies Last Post 2015年12月15日 GMT-5 08:25
Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Posted: 9 years ago 2015年12月14日 GMT-5 09:24
Hello,
The busbar tutorial in the Introduction to COMSOL Multiphysics manual, version 5.2, shows how to do this. All manuals can be reached through File>Help>Documentation.
Best regards,
Jeff
Hello, The busbar tutorial in the Introduction to COMSOL Multiphysics manual, version 5.2, shows how to do this. All manuals can be reached through File>Help>Documentation. Best regards, Jeff

Posted: 9 years ago 2015年12月14日 GMT-5 10:30
My problem is not the same. In the busbar example the heat transfer to the ambient with constant T.ext is modeled, but I have a fluid with known flow rate and inlet temperature giving heat to the solid, and therefore, its temperature changes.

I know the heat transfer coefficient from experimental data that I trust and do not want to go for conjugate HT, lam. flow since my model is computationally heavy and I want to make less important parts as simple as I can.
My problem is not the same. In the busbar example the heat transfer to the ambient with constant T.ext is modeled, but I have a fluid with known flow rate and inlet temperature giving heat to the solid, and therefore, its temperature changes. I know the heat transfer coefficient from experimental data that I trust and do not want to go for conjugate HT, lam. flow since my model is computationally heavy and I want to make less important parts as simple as I can.

Posted: 9 years ago 2015年12月14日 GMT-5 12:09
Sorry I misunderstood, but your second post leaves me still a bit unclear as to what approach you want to follow. As I read it, your first paragraph suggests that you want to compute the flow and its temperature and couple that to the heat transfer in the solid (i.e. set up a full-fledged conjugate heat transfer model). On the other hand, your second paragraph suggests you're trying to stay away from that.
Are you saying that you can assume an expression for the fluid's temperature at the interface with the solid, T_ext? If so, you can type that expression in the GUI.
Jeff
Sorry I misunderstood, but your second post leaves me still a bit unclear as to what approach you want to follow. As I read it, your first paragraph suggests that you want to compute the flow and its temperature and couple that to the heat transfer in the solid (i.e. set up a full-fledged conjugate heat transfer model). On the other hand, your second paragraph suggests you're trying to stay away from that. Are you saying that you can assume an expression for the fluid's temperature at the interface with the solid, T_ext? If so, you can type that expression in the GUI. Jeff

Posted: 9 years ago 2015年12月14日 GMT-5 12:31
Sorry if my explanations were unclear.
There is a flow of liquid with known flow rate and known inlet temperature, but I do not know how the temperature of the fluid will change as it passes through a channel in a solid.

I want to find a way to give the inlet temperature of the liquid, its flow rate, and the convective heat transfer coefficient for the liquid-solid interface (which is a constant value) to COMSOL, and COMSOL calculate the outlet temperature of the liquid and the temperature field in the solid and the other parts which are in thermal contact with the solid.

The solid gives the heat taken from the liquid to other parts and ambient air.

The differential equation that I derive for the liquid is
m_dot*cp*dT_f/dx=-h*perimeter*(T_f - T_s)
If T_s (temperature of the solid at the interface) was constant it was easy to solve my problem in COMSOL by solving the equation analytically and writing the resulting equation in COMSOL, but now that the solid temperature is not constant I do not know how to do it.
Sorry if my explanations were unclear. There is a flow of liquid with known flow rate and known inlet temperature, but I do not know how the temperature of the fluid will change as it passes through a channel in a solid. I want to find a way to give the inlet temperature of the liquid, its flow rate, and the convective heat transfer coefficient for the liquid-solid interface (which is a constant value) to COMSOL, and COMSOL calculate the outlet temperature of the liquid and the temperature field in the solid and the other parts which are in thermal contact with the solid. The solid gives the heat taken from the liquid to other parts and ambient air. The differential equation that I derive for the liquid is m_dot*cp*dT_f/dx=-h*perimeter*(T_f - T_s) If T_s (temperature of the solid at the interface) was constant it was easy to solve my problem in COMSOL by solving the equation analytically and writing the resulting equation in COMSOL, but now that the solid temperature is not constant I do not know how to do it.

Posted: 9 years ago 2015年12月15日 GMT-5 08:25
Intuitively, I don't see how you could avoid solving the full problem (i.e. Navier-Stokes + convection and conduction in the fluid, conduction in the solid) without introducing hard-to-justify simplifications since the temperature of the fluid and solid will not be homogeneous and will be influenced by the flow pattern.
I understand you would like to stay away from that approach, but if you want to give it a shot one way to set it up is covered on pages 110-124 of the Introduction to COMSOL Multiphysics manual, version 5.2.
Best,
Jef
Intuitively, I don't see how you could avoid solving the full problem (i.e. Navier-Stokes + convection and conduction in the fluid, conduction in the solid) without introducing hard-to-justify simplifications since the temperature of the fluid and solid will not be homogeneous and will be influenced by the flow pattern. I understand you would like to stay away from that approach, but if you want to give it a shot one way to set it up is covered on pages 110-124 of the Introduction to COMSOL Multiphysics manual, version 5.2. Best, Jef

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.